Inside: Helpful parenting a teenager book recommendations.
Raising teens can be a very trying experience, but one that is more worthwhile than we will ever know. As a parent, you are constantly trying to learn better ways to be there for your child.
As they grow into their own people, the way that you parent has to change. This can be a hard transition if you do not have any guidance, so today, I want to share with you just that. I have compiled some of the most insightful parenting a teenager book recommendations that I know will help you.
I made sure to include reviews of each book so you know exactly what you are getting. We have no time to waste. Let’s dive into this information.
Insightful Parenting a Teenager Book Recommendations
This first list is full of some of my favorites. I wanted to give you a strong start. If you are like me, you are likely to pick more than one book off of this list. So start looking!
1. Feeding the Hand That Bites You – “This book is life-changing for me. Such great advice and a clear path to follow to help parents navigate teenagers into adults with clear goals and expectations. It has changed my relationship with my teens.” – Josephine Houston
2. Under Pressure: Confronting the Epidemic of Stress and Anxiety in Girls – “The points in here are solid and it really helped me rethink my understanding of my stepdaughter, especially when it came to social anxiety and shyness. It helped her immensely as well as she has been reading the book with me.” – Janis Miller
3. Parents Guide to Teenager Anxiety and Deppression – “Once I started reading this book, I couldn’t put it down. It’s very easy to read and understand, and the fact that it’s written by a father makes it that much more relatable. Things aren’t perfect with mine and my teens relationship but I definitely learned from this book and was able to improve in quite a few areas.” – Jammin
4. How To Talk So Teens Will Listen and Listen So Teens Will Talk – “This book provides real life examples on what to do and not to do in different situations with teens . I’ll keep it handy to use as a reference” – Kindle Customer
5. Parenting a Teen Who Has Intense Emotions – “Great read! A good way to educate your self to better meet the emotional needs of your kids. I understand them better. Also, I understand myself better too!” – Jackie
6. Parenting Teens with Love and Logic – “Super helpful and practical… It helps me to love and care in a right way of my daughters! Looking forward to read the first one book” – Karla Martinez
7. The 5 Love Languages of Teenagers – “If you have a teen or preteen, You NEED this Book! Noone is born with all the know-how and skills to raise Healthy young adults!! It will be the best investment into your childs life. It’s not to late to be a Great Parental Figure! You don’t have to “wing it.”‘ – Tonya
8. Parenting the New Teen in the Age of Anxiety – “Such a good book for parents of kids today. A must read!!” – Joseph Harvey
9. Unoffendable: How Just One Change Can Make All of Life Better – “My friend told me about this book, so I borrowed one. I liked it so much I bought my own copy, so I can reread and underline. It’s just what I need to hear and remind myself of, not to take offense. Very readable and he’s funny!”
10. Things I Wish I’d Known Before My Child Became a Teenager – “A MUST READ for parents of children after age 8” – Marian
11. Active Parenting of Teens – “I purchased this book to go along with a Parenting Class at a local center. There is a lot of good information and advice. Parenting teens is a lot different in this world that it was in the past. I like the thought of being proactive instead of reactive.” – Debbie
12. How to Have a New Teenager By Friday – “This book really gives some fantastic parenting help. If you follow it, it will definitely help you and your child(ren). If you don’t, I guess you’re no worse off. With this book plus mikeandkimcoaching.com, you’ll be great!” – Shannon Davis
13. The Emotional Lives of Teenagers: Raising Connected, Capable, and Compassionate Adolescents – “The Emotional Lives of Teenagers is written as clearly, usefully, and warmly as anything I’ve read about the psychology of adolescence. Lisa Damour explains why intense feelings—including negative ones—are a key part of teenage development, and how we can help young people understand and embrace the full spectrum of human emotion. I give it my highest recommendation!”—Angela Duckworth, author of Grit and co-founder of Character Lab
14. Happy and Fun Things to Do in Life for Teens – “Are you a parent of a teenager struggling to bring some zeal into your teen’s life? This is the book for you.”
15. Parenting Teen Girls – “This book includes advice based on positive parenting principles that will help you support and connect with your daughter during this important time in your lives.”
More Teen Book Recommendations
For this final list, here you will find some of the most insightful parenting a teenager book recommendations ever. These have inspired me, and I don’t even have children on my own yet.
16. How to Raise an Adult – “A provocative manifesto that exposes the harms of helicopter parenting and sets forth an alternate philosophy for raising preteens and teens to self-sufficient young adulthood.”
17. Building Resilience in Children and Teens: Giving Kids Roots and Wings – “I am reading this book for a college class on resilience in education. I would recommend this book to any parent. The advice is very practical. Parenting from a perspective of building resilience is a game changer.” – John
18. Love Her Well: 10 Ways to Find Joy and Connection with Your Teenage Daughter – “Author, blogger, and mom to four daughters Kari Kampakis thinks it’s time to change the narrative and mind-set that leads moms to parent-teen girls with a spirit of defeat instead of strength.”
19. Right Click: Parenting Your Teenager In A Digital Media World – “Awesome book for helping us parents figure out how to deal with all this technology. An easy read, love the authors perspective, he brings some Godly ways to deal with this too! Very recommended!” – Mommy of 5
20. Between Form and Freedom: Raising a Teenager (Child health, parenting) – “”A rare book about teens that becomes more and more relevant as time goes on. This is not just one of them, it is the one. Whenever I am asked by parents trying to unravel their teens behaviour, “Is that normal?”, I recommend Between Form and Freedom with a confidence that it will give them the understanding they need, to open up a path toward deeper and enduring connection with their child.” —Kim John Payne, author of Simplicity Parenting
21. Parenting Teen Boys – “Being a parent to teen boys can be challenging, but Marissa provides an easy-to-use guide to start building a trusting and supportive relationship with your son while navigating those uncomfortable topics.” —Amanda Vo, PMHNP-BC, psychiatric nurse practitioner and owner of Blue Meadow Behavioral Health
22. Congrats―You’re Having a Teen!: Strengthen Your Family and Raise a Good Person – “There’s a lot of information, but straightforward takeaways and accessible writing keep things in reach. This goes a long way in draining the dread from adolescence.”
23. Decoding Boys: New Science Behind the Subtle Art of Raising Sons – “If you’re raising a boy, you need this brilliant book. It is clear, wise, and eye-opening.” —Lisa Damour, Ph.D., author of Untangled
24. On Becoming Teen Wise: Building a Relationship That Lasts a Lifetime – “I am a Father of two beautiful teens. This book along with the others in this series have proved invaluable to assisting My Wife and I to understanding and doing things that are upbuiling in your Parent-Child relationships. And isn’t that what all really good parents want? Yes, Yes it is. So Read it, apply it, discuss it, Grow. All in the family will benefit from this straight forward guideance.
25. Raising a Strong Daughter In a Toxic Culture – “So far my daughter is turning out to be great and that was before I read this book. It look like I was following a lot of the advice anyways. Very good read, highly recommended”
26. Parents Are You Ready? –“This was an incredible book – so very wonderful, organized, informative, helpful, interesting, and thoughtful. Highly recommend this book for anyone with middle school to high school age kids.” – Angela Wetzel
27. Life Skills for Teenager Girls –“My 11 year old just got the book and is randomly picking chapters (skills) to read and then she comes to me and checks I. With me or asks if she is confused.
Great bonding tool for the 2 of us” – SMK
28. Life Strategies for Teenagers: Positive Parenting, Tips and Understanding Teens for Better Communication and a Happy Family (Parenting Teenagers) – “”Your teen is a child who is old enough to understand, but is still young enough to be pliable.”
29. Holding On While Letting Go – “Holding On While Letting Go is precisely the guidebook parents need to instill confidence, mental health, and independence in our children, while building a connected and caring relationship with them at all ages. Carl’s Four Freedoms show how to raise our kids into healthy, well-adjusted adults. The book is a resource to help parents adapt, encourage, and grow themselves–so ultimately we are all at our best.” – Elizabeth Hamilton-Guarino, mom of four sons and author of The Change Guidebook
I hope that you found this list of the most insightful parenting a teenager book recommendations to be helpful. I know that there is a lot of information out there, and it can be confusing. My goal with this was to help you see through the fog a bit.
If this list just wet your appetite for learning how to parent a teen, I have some more great ideas for you to look at. Take a look at this.