Inside: The Best Family Vacations with Teens (Fun for Everyone).
It can be challenging to organize the ideal family vacation when you have to please everyone, from the youngest child to the most discerning teen.
When arranging the ideal vacation, it’s important to think about what will appeal to each member of the group. In the form of excitement, diversion, interest, and maybe even education. As a result, we compiled a list of the best vacation ideas for families that is sure to please everyone.
Check out our favorite family vacations with teens and why they are so perfect.
Best Family Vacations with Teens
1. Honolulu, Hawaii: Hawaii is a great place to start if you’re trying to decide where to take a teenager on vacation because it’s both a modern metropolis and a tropical paradise.
Oahu and its surrounding region offer a perfect balance of urban excitement and natural beauty for teenagers.
Hiking, snorkeling, and kayaking are all great options for families, as are half-day tours that take in many of Oahu’s top sights (like the Pearl Harbor Memorial) or a trip to the world-famous Waikiki Beach, where you can relax with a mojito while the kids learn to surf from the island’s natives.
2. Long Beach, California: Selecting a beach for a family vacation that includes teenagers is a huge decision with very little room for error.
At the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach, California, visitors of all ages can get up close and personal with sand tiger sharks, sea lions, tropical fish, and other marine life.
3. Orlando, Florida: When it comes to wonderful family getaways that also have all the makings of a great adolescent vacation, Orlando is an obvious choice due to the fact that it is home to some of the best family-friendly activities.
Even if they are too old for Mickey and Minnie, they will probably find that the exhilarating roller coaster rides here more than make up for it.
You can enjoy a fun day out with your family by going on an airboat ride through the Everglades, swimming with dolphins at Disney World Resort, parasailing at SeaWorld, or jet-skiing at Universal’s Islands of Adventure. Alternatively, you can go to Disney World Resort, SeaWorld, or Universal’s Islands of Adventure.
Family Vacation Ideas with Teenagers
4. Washington, DC: The nation’s capital is filled to the brim with wonderful places to visit and things to do, as it is home to some of the most renowned landmarks and museums in the world.
The National Museum of Natural History, the National Geographic Museum, the International Spy Museum, and the National Gallery of Art, to name a few, are some of the many museums that you absolutely have to see if you and your family are museum enthusiasts.
5. Gatlinburg, Tennesse: It’s all good vibes in Gatlinburg, where the people are kind, and the atmosphere is laid back, making it ideal for family vacations. The town also has a large variety of eateries that cater to different budgets, interests, and tastes.
The Great Smoky Mountains National Park is home to a plethora of outdoor pursuits, including fishing and horseback riding, as well as 800 miles of hiking trails.
Gatlinburg is a fantastic vacation destination because it appeals to people of all ages because to its unique blend of urban excitement and natural beauty.
6. San Antonio, Texas: San Antonio is a great city to visit because of all the exciting things to do there, such as visiting the Natural Bridge Safari Park or SeaWorld.
Teens with a taste for the unusual can visit Barney Smith’s Toilet Seat Art Museum, while those with a penchant for the eerie can enjoy Ripley’s Haunted Adventure.
Spend valuable time together as a family by taking a leisurely stroll along the San Antonio RiverWalk, which is also a fantastic chance to learn about the city’s thriving culture at your own pace.
The K1 go-karting arena and Extreme Escape Live-Action Games are two great places to take your adrenaline-seeking children.
Fun Vacations with Teenagers
Check out a few more of our favorite family vacations with teens.
7. West Yellowstone, Montana: Book a Yellowstone River rafting trip and cross “riding the rapids” off your list, or try out ziplining with Yellowstone Zip-Line Tours.
Yellowstone is a great place to take the whole family if you have teenagers who are like outdoor activities like trekking to waterfalls, hot springs soaking, bear watching, and geyser watching.
See the native wildlife up close and personal by visiting Old Faithful Geyser, which erupts every 35 minutes to an hour and blasts water at least 180 feet into the air, hiking the Elephant Back Mountain Trail, or stopping by Hayden Valley.
8. Charlotte, North Caroline: Charlotte’s Carowinds Amusement Park is home to some of the world’s craziest and most frightening roller coasters, including the Carolina Cyclone, Intimidator, and Afterburn.
If you’re looking for additional adrenaline-pumping activities, the U.S. National Whitewater Center has rope courses and zip lines. The NASCAR Hall of Fame is a great place to visit if you’re looking for some hands-on fun.
9. Gettysburg, Pennsylvania: Gettysburg is a fantastic option for families with both older and younger children who are looking for a vacation destination that combines educational opportunities with enjoyable activities.
Visit the Gettysburg Battlefield, the Shriver House Museum, and the National Military Park to learn more about the significance of the town during the Civil War, or take a tour bus to see all the major sites.
Winter Family Vacation Ideas with Teenagers
10. Beaver Creek, Colorado: Ski lessons, cross-country snowshoeing, and ice skating are just a few examples of the many activities that make Beaver Creek a great place to bring the kids for some clean, fun, and safe entertainment.
Skiing lessons with the resort’s top-notch pros or a night by the fire pit rented for the occasion are great ways to spend family time together.
During the winter, people go to Haymeadow Park, Red Buffalo Park, and Thursday Night Lights, a stunning event that features lights and fireworks to round off the day. Your teen can try all he or she wants to seem “cool,” but these fireworks will leave any onlooker speechless.
11. Park City, Utah: Park City is a fantastic destination for energetic families looking to go mountain climbing, snowboarding, and moose-spotting.
Utah Olympic Park is where you may try out activities like ziplining and bobsledding or a guided tour of the mountains.
Also, the Red Rock Brewery in the downtown area serves up some seriously tasty burgers and pizza.
12. Huntsville, Alabama: You might not think of it as a vacation spot, especially when discussing trips with teens, but if you want to see a space shuttle and check out a ton of awesome rockets, the U.S. Space and Rocket Center is the place to go.
If your teen is more interested in earth science than space exploration, take them to the Huntsville Botanical Garden for a day of sightseeing, hiking, and, of course, s’mores roasting over open flames.
Best Summer Vacations For Families with Teens
13. Puta Cana, Dominican Republic: The Dominican Republic should be at the top of your list when choosing a Caribbean destination.
Punta Cana has all the makings of a great beach vacation, and it is a wonderful place to take your teenagers. The beaches are clean, there are plenty of palm trees, and the water is clear and warm.
14. Lake Tahoe, California: Lake Tahoe, in the Sierra Nevada Mountains to the east of San Francisco, has been a reliable source of Olympic-quality snow ever since it hosted the 1960 Winter Games. Tahoe has a laid-back, California vibe that makes it popular among both skiers and snowboarders.
Lake Tahoe is a popular summer destination because of its crystal clear waters, which make it ideal for water activities, meditation retreats, and the TRT, an epic hiking trail. One of the best parts is the opportunity to people-watch and maybe even spot a famous face!
15. Gen Rose, Texas: The 1500-acre Dinosaur Valley State Park in the tranquil and family-friendly Glen Rose area features rocky hillsides, hiking and biking trails, and even preserved dinosaur prints.
Visit the nearby Dinosaur World for even more dinosaur-themed fun, including a trail lined with replicas of these exotic creatures and a wealth of information about them.
17. Plan a family road trip to an accessible destination.
18. Upstate New York – stay at the all inclusive Mohonk Hotel.
19. Do a southern family tour starting in Mobile Alabama and ending in Destin FL. For Civil rights learning + a beautiful beach.
20. Texas from Austin to Dallas to eat BBQ together, go line dancing and sleep outside under the stars at a western style glamping hotel.
International Vacations With Teenagers
21. London to tour the palace, have tea and maybe even meet the Queen.
22. An African safari is top of my list and staying at the Giraffe Manor would be unforgettable.
23. Thailand is doable if you go with a group, I love these National Geographic trips they plan for families of all ages.
24. Iceland to see the glaciers, active volcanos and sleep in an actual lighthouse.
25. St. Pettersburg Russia
26. All teens love a trip to Mexico for the beaches, sun and fun activities. We choose Cabo for its accessibility and tons of activities to enjoy.
27. This is more an idea than a place, but find out where a great concert is playing (something the whole family would enjoy), and go there! We had the best trip doing this one time.
More Fun Travel Ideas with Teens
If you like these family vacations with teens then you love these other fun travel ideas for teenagers.
- Fun Things To Do in Los Angeles – Sticking with our traveling in California with teens theme, check out our favorite things to do in Los Angeles. From fun roller coasters, cool downtown areas, and exciting rides, there is no your teens will be bored of this trip.
- Fun Things To Do in Las Vegas – There are a ton of cool things to do in Las Vegas with teens. Exciting tour options include everything a teenager wants to see and conquer including zip lines, roller coasters, navigating an ATV or dune buggy, and there are even options to take them to a shooting range.
- Fun Things To Do in San Diego for Teens – There are tons of great activities for families visiting San Diego, CA with teenagers to enjoy. From fun outdoor adventures, educational (but still fun) museums, and so much more, your teens will have no problem unplugging for a bit to enjoy all the activities you have planned.