Inside: Journal Prompts for Teens – Gratitude, Short Story, + Creative Writing.
Journaling is a positive habit that anyone can benefit from. Journals are like best friends who hold onto your secrets and help you process your experiences. Journaling regularly can lead to a lifelong daily writing habit, but teens may struggle with figuring out how to start.
What motivates you the most? If you could travel to any time, past or future, what year would you go to? What or who would you want to see or learn about? What’s your funniest memory from your childhood? These are the kinds of questions that go perfectly in a personal journal.
Check out 43 of our favorite Journal Prompts for Teens!
The Benefits of Journaling
For teens, especially, who are going through emotionally tumultuous years, journal writing can be highly therapeutic. Journals are like the best of friends. You can tell them anything without judgment or reprimand. They will hold all of your unpolished thoughts and deepest secrets for as long as you need them to.
Thoughts and emotions can be really hard to process if you don’t have an outlet for them. Writing them down in a journal helps you work through them and make sense of what you’re thinking and feeling.
In my experience, no matter how upset or distraught I am, taking the time to write about the situation—and my reaction to it—inevitably gives it a new context and puts it into perspective. From there, I’m able to see more clearly what I need to do next.
Why Use Journal Prompts for Teens
Creative thinking and reflection don’t come as easily to some people as they do to others. For those of us who get overly caught up in our logical left-brain thinking, slowing down enough to make observations about the unfolding of life all around us is a challenge.
Journal prompts for teens solve this problem by giving teens short, specific topics to write about. These questions address ideas and issues that are familiar to teens, such as social media, friendship, and their own outlooks on the world. There is comfort in writing about that which you already know well.
Cool Journaling Supplies for Teens
Journaling is much more fun with cool supplies, here are a few of our favorites.
- Colorful Bound Notebooks
- Plaid Hardback Notebook
- Cool Camo Journal
- Colorful Felt Tipped Pens
- Pastel Pen Pack
- Sticker Variety Pack
Journal Prompts for Teens
1. Write a letter to your future self
2. What is your favorite childhood memory?
3. Make a list of 25 things that make you smile
4. Write about a time when you did something you were afraid to try.
5. What is self-awareness?
6. Why is it important to communicate about emotions?
7. Have you ever had to have a really difficult conversation with someone? How did you handle it?
8. If you could spend a day with one of your ancestors, what would you ask them?
9. You have to relive an entire year of your life. Which year would you pick and what would you do differently?
10. If you had to describe yourself as a color, which would you choose and why?
11. What is your favorite room in your home and why?
12. Do you prefer to be in the spotlight or behind the scenes? Do you ever make an exception?
13. Write about a time when you were able to help someone else.
14. What’s the best gift you’ve ever received? Why?
15. What’s your funniest memory from your childhood?
Writing Prompts for Teens
16. Someone has just offered you a bus to convert into your own personal hangout space. Describe what you would do to convert it into a perfect space for you.
17. Which fictional character do you relate to the most? Describe the similarities between them and you.
18. What would happen if there were no television? Why would this be good? bad?
19. What would happen if you found gold in your backyard?
20. If you were five years older you would…
21. If you could only take 3 people with you on a trip around the world, who would you take and why?
22. Oprah Winfrey has just called you for an interview. What does she ask you about? Write down how your conversation might go.
23. Write about old doors that have closed. What can you take away from those experiences? What have you had to let go of? Is there a sense of freedom in letting go?
24. What’s one thing you’ve done in your life that you never thought you’d be able to do? What made it possible?
25. Write about your favorite smell.
Short Story Ideas for Teens
26. I tiptoed into the bathroom. If anyone caught me doing this, I’d be in big trouble. I grabbed my mother’s lipstick and brought it back to my bedroom where my brother slept…
27. I peeked through the curtains. There was a limo parked outside with two bodyguards. I heard a knock at the door…
28. I went over to say hello to the cute little baby under the umbrella, but when I reached her, I saw that…
29. The bell rang, and I sprinted towards my locker. I had to get out of there before…
30. I opened the front door to find the UPS man standing on the front stoop, his arm around a cylindrical package that was almost as tall as him. Oh no. Not again, I thought…
31. Irene gripped her mom’s hand harder as they walked through the doors of the imposing gray building. Her mom had promised her they’d never have to come here again, but…
32. The lights dimmed and the curtains opened. I felt like I was going to throw up. Why had I ever thought this was a good idea?…
Creative Teen Fiction Writing Prompts
33. As soon as I boarded the train, I began my letter to my sister. I did it. I sold everything and am on my way to…
34. A kid’s birthday party seemed like an innocent enough place to blend in, relax for a moment. It’s been a while since I stopped moving. But when the balloon popped…
35. I sat down at my desk and sifted through the mail that had been placed in front of my computer. All junk, of course. I was about to dump it all in the recycling bin when I saw my favorite magazine at the bottom of the pile. Tossing the rest aside, I snatched it up, but something unexpected fell out from between the pages…
36. We were canoeing across the inlet when we noticed some unusual movement alongside the boat. A whale was surfacing next to us. Another one followed closely behind. Suddenly, our boat was being lifted out of the water and…
37. The Instagram account I created for my hamster just went viral and he’s getting calls with job offers from around the world, only …
38. At first we thought the box contained the water guns we ordered online, so we tore it open eagerly, ready to load them up. Instead, what we saw inside completely changed everything.
39. I got off the boat furious and trembling. I was never getting back on there again, not with him at least. There was no way I was going to let him…
40. The pancakes were perfect—round and golden, soft but a little crispy near the edges. I slathered them in maple syrup and fruit. But then mom went to the fridge and took out the whipped cream, giving me an apologetic look as she did so. It was a treat, a very special one, and she only ever brought it out if…
More Fun Ideas for Teens
Feather Hair Extensions are Back – Let’s talk about Feather Hair Extensions… As quickly as the trend came into our lives, it was gone. But like low-rise jeans, Juicy Couture tracksuits, and chunky blonde highlights, feather hair extensions are back. They are all the rage this season! For the past two weeks, my daughter was having a fit for some of these colorful ways to jazz up her hair…..(Read More)