Inside: Teen Pool Party Ideas That Teenagers Will Love.
While your teen might be too old for a birthday party that involves games and party favors, a pool party might be perfect. In fact, your teen might be willing to play games and do silly things as long as there is water involved.
It can be an inexpensive way to entertain a group of teens for hours. Of course, you’ll need to take safety issues into consideration when swimming is involved, but a pool party might be the best way to celebrate your teen’s next birthday.
How to Throw a Teenage Pool Party
With or without a theme, there are several basic necessities every pool party requires. Let’s start with the essentials…
Food: Because the party will revolve around water activities, it is best to keep food light: sandwiches, hot dogs, fruit, cookies, snow cones, and cool drinks are great options. Barbeques are another one of our favorites for pool parties.
Activities: Coordinated pool party games are not usually necessary for teen parties, but having fun pool activities available will encourage teens to entertain themselves. Beach balls and volleyballs are popular choices, as are different floating pool mats and lounges, diving sticks, and water guns.
Accessories: To make the pool party enjoyable for everyone, be sure to have a good supply of necessary pool supplies on hand, including:
- Extra towels, including small towels for hair
- Sunglasses or visors
- Sunscreen, preferably a quick spray-on formula
- Swim goggles or masks
- Tanning lotion
- Plastic bags or a safe, dry place to store clothes and other non-pool gear
- Waterproof cameras to capture every splash
While most teens will bring their own supplies, having extra on hand will ensure that everyone can have a great time even if they forgot something essential.
Safety: What starts out as a fun party can quickly get out of hand with rambunctious teenage energy. To ensure pool safety, be sure the pool area is clean and free from debris that could be stepped on, tripped over, or used inappropriately. Remove unnecessary equipment (hoses, children’s toys, etc.) from the area to free up space and eliminate temptations, and before guests dive in, be sure they understand the safety expectations. Horseplay and dangerous stunts should not be tolerated at any time.
Teen Birthday Pool Party Ideas
The key to a great teen party theme, however, is to remember not to overdo it. Many teens would prefer an understated theme that hints at coordination instead of an outrageous theme that may backfire.
- Caribbean magic, with appropriate music and snacks
- Luaus with leis and other Hawaiian décor
- Cruise ship themes with life preservers and passport party invitations
- Survivor themes with team buffs, grass shelters, and competitive challenges
- Waterpark themes when the party is actually at a local waterpark, complete with slides, wave pools, and other diversions
Pool Party Ideas for Teenage Girls
I remember one year, I had a 13th Birthday Pool Party and it was a BLAST! We had so much fun! Of course, back then we didn’t really have “themes” to all our parties. It was just a group of awkward 13-year-olds doing weird dives and dances in a pool. Luckily, we have evolved in the party world and themes are a great way to personalize a party. Here are a few of our favorite themes for teenage girls.
- Palm Springs, with fun floaties and palm trees
- Retro with groovy decor and 70’s flowers
- Spa Pool Day with relaxing floaties and even a mani/pedi session after the pool
Our Favorite Pool Party Items
Citrus Themed Floaties
Pizza Pool Floatie
Inflatable Volleyball Net
LED Beach Ball
Watermelon Ball Game – This is one of our favorite pool games
Pool Fun Out of the Water
A teen pool party isn’t just about having fun in the water. There are plenty of ways friends can enjoy pool-oriented activities before they dive in, and many of these activities can also be used to space out eating and swimming to prevent potential cramps or injuries.
- Decorate inexpensive flip-flops, sandals, or visors
- Stage a swimsuit fashion show
- Play a game of beach or lawn volleyball or badminton
- Arrange a land-based water fight
- Enjoy some tanning time
- Relax in a whirlpool if available
More Fun Ideas Teen Will Love
If you like these totally cool teen pool party ideas, then check out a few more of our favorite ideas for teens.
- Fun Things to do in Las Vegas with Teens – Is Las Vegas a good place to bring teenagers (or your kids)? Will they have fun? Is there enough for them to do? If you are wondering if you should visit Las Vegas with teenagers, we can help. There are a ton of cool things to do in Las Vegas with teens. Exciting tour options include everything a teenager wants to see and conquer including zip lines, roller coasters, navigating an ATV or dune buggy, and there are even options to take them to a shooting range.
- Inexpensive + Cute Date Ideas for Teens – We get it, dating as a teenager can be hard. And trying to come up with date ideas even more difficult. Most teens might not even drive yet, or have their own car… or have a lot of money to spend… and they are most likely still living at home. Finding activities to do outside of school can be a bit difficult depending on the personal situation. But with some creativity, you can plan some really awesome dates together and never get sick of doing the same thing. Whether your teen has been dating for a little while or heading out on their first date, these inexpensive and cute date ideas for teens are sure to be packed full of fun.
- Feather Hair Extensions are Back – Let’s talk about Feather Hair Extensions… As quickly as the trend came into our lives, it was gone. But like low-rise jeans, Juicy Couture tracksuits, and chunky blonde highlights, feather hair extensions are back. They are all the rage this season! For the past two weeks, my daughter was having a fit for some of these colorful ways to jazz up her hair….