Inside: Tips and tricks for Senior skip day & fun ditch day ideas to make the time memorable.
With graduation day in view, seniors have many awesome & fun days to look forward to before getting their diploma.
Of these days, one in particular stands out: Senior Skip Day!
What Is Senior Skip Day?
Senior Skip Day (also commonly known as Senior Ditch Day) is an American tradition in which the senior class get to skip one day of school towards the end of term. Students like to meet up at a location of their choosing for a day of fun and memories before the end of their high school experience. It’s a wonderful way to celebrate the success and hard work they’ve put in for the past 4 years!
As Urban Dictionary so hilariously put it,
A day chosen by a high school senior class for the entire class to skip school. Typically falling on the Monday after prom, it tends to infuriate teachers and school administrators alike. The day has become less popular in recent years as the bureaucracy of public schools in the United States is becoming increasingly strict. For those who participate, the day continues to symbolize rebellion against over-comformity and the American desire for individuality.Jackie won’t participate in senior skip day. She enjoys being a slave to society too much.
When is Senior Skip Day?
Typically, Senior Skip Day is held towards the end of term. What exact day it will happen depends on your school, but don’t worry, you will be informed of when with plenty of time to plan an awesome day!
Is Senior Skip day Excused?
More often than not, teachers will assign students work on skip day seeing as it isn’t exactly an official day off. Parents may also have to call and excuse their child’s absence depending on the school. But since this is all in good fun, it’s so worth it!
Senior Skip Day Ideas
In order to have a Skip Day that you’ll remember for the rest of your life, you HAVE to do at least a little planning. We know you’re busy with finals and college applications, so we saved you some time and compiled a list of the most fun ditch day Ideas!
1. Go to Breakfast with your Friends: Normally, during weekdays the only time you get breakfast with your friends is between periods. TREAT YOURSELVES.
2. Plan a Movie day: Have each of your friends pick their favorite movie and add them to a list. Set up the living room with as many blankets and pillows as you can muster. Lastly, have each person bring a food and drink of choice. After all, Movie snacks are a must!
3. Plan a Picnic.
4. Have a Beach Day: Meet up with your friends at your favorite beach spot. Make sure to bring Towels, Food, & Drinks. Then all you have to do is kick back and make some memories!
5. Go Thrift Shopping.
6. Take a Walk Down Memory Lane: With High School coming to a close, it’s a good time to look back on some of your best memories. You may have tons of memories AT your high school, but you’ve made plenty outside of it too! Have each of your friends pick a place that holds one of their FAVORITE memories from the last 4 years of your lives and take turns visiting them. Get ready for the waterworks!
7. Go to a Concert: What better way to celebrate not being in school than with live music!
8. Go to an Amusement Park: This one is self-explanatory 😉
9. Make Mocktails.
10. Visit a Petting Zoo: Any day spent petting animals is a day well spent.
11. Have a Pizza Party: Pizza is the most epic of celebratory foods. Have each of your friends pick a different pizza and go crazy!
12. Make a Dance Routine with your Friends.
13. Have a Scavenger Hunt: It may sound funny, but really it’s just pure fun. Put those smart brains that earned your high school diplomas to play a scavenger hunt! Side note, in order to be able to play this with all your friends, you may have to enlist the help of mom to come up with the hunt!
14. Go to a Museum.
15. Bury a Time Capsule: Have each of your friends pick a personal item that represents the time period to them, but them all together in an airtight container, and bury it somewhere you can find it 10 years down the road during your high school reunion!
16. Make a High School Scrapbook: Trust me, years from now this book of my teenage memories will be one of your most prized possessions.
17. Have a Water Balloon Fight.
18. Recreate photos of You from Freshman Year: This one is a fun way to see how much you’ve grown and changed in the last 4 years!
19. Have a Crafting Party: Get all your friends together, grab your favorite drawing supplies and have a craft party!
20. Write Letters to your Future Self: Write a letter to the future you, and when you’re done seal it shut and choose an “open me” date!
21. Go RollerBlading.
22. Have a Tea Party: Not only is this such a fun idea that is rarely done but it’s a wonderful way to give into childlike wonder!
23. Have a Classic Movie Marathon.
24. Learn how to Cook Something Difficult: Try your hand at a fancy food you’d never dreamed of making, like a souffle!
25. Make a Slide Show of the last 4 Years: Pro tip: Avoid sappy music if you don’t want to cry! If you DO wanna cry, try “I’ll Always Remember You” by Hannah Montana. Works every time.
26. Go Kite Flying.
27. Watch the Sunrise: You’re probably pretty used to getting up early, just get up a litttttle bit earlier and meet up with your friends to watch the sunrise! Bonus points if someone brings coffee.
28. Have a Bonfire and Roast S’mores.
29. Go on a Hike: Getting out into nature can be a wonderful way to spend Senior Skip Day!
30. Go Bowling.
31. Go Shopping: I know, I know. But you could go shopping with your friends any ol day. But this shopping trip has a twist! The focus of the trip is to buy things you’ll have at college. That way when you go off on your own, the things you bring with you will remind you of your friends and this awesome day!
32. Go to the Park: Sure, you’re getting older…but are you ever really too old to swing on the swings or go down the slide? Don’t Let grandma answer this one!
33. Go on a Paddle Boat.
34. Take a Day Trip: A wonderful way to celebrate your soon to be adulthood is by taking a road trip with your friends! No better way to spend Senior Skip Day than by skipping town!
35. Hold a Mini-Olympics with Friends: This one is guaranteed to come with laughs!
36. Go Tree Climbing.
37. Clean your Room: SIKE!!! This is against the Senior Skip Day rules.
Below are some of the most essential things that have to be included in your skip-day plans. Otherwise, you run the risk of having a day that blows up in your face. Ready? Let’s do this people!
How To Have the Ultimate Senior Skip Day
Think of the list below as your guide to the best day of your life. You are going to have an absolute blast if you listen to these tips.
Check them out and see which ones you already have done, and which ones you need to do still.
1. Gather Your Friends
You need to get your closest friends together, because there is nothing more depressing than spending this day alone. You would be wasting an amazing opportunity to hang out with the people that you have grown close to over the last 4 years. You never get to hang out outside of school DURING school hours.
So why the heck would you ever want to spend it alone? Your friends are going to be the key to an awesome day. You can start a group chat to begin the planning process. This will make sure that everyone is available and on the same page.
Or you could be funny and actually hang out invitations. But that would mean that you are in the driver’s seat of the plans. So it’s up to you.
2. Come Up With A Plan
So this is what comes next after you invite everyone. Either you plan it together, or you come up with it and see if everyone is down. You need to have either one big plan of action or a day full of little ones. You can mix and match as well.
Coming up with ideas on what to do during your senior skip day may be a little hard. It funny, when you aren’t planning a trip, so many ideas will flow freely into your brain. But the second you have to actually plan something out, everything goes blank.
If you need some help coming up with some ideas other than the ones above, how about a day trip for teens, a pool party or even a simple craft day with your besties.
3. Do Something Out Of The Ordinary
You need to do something that you normally wouldn’t do. So if you and your crew normally hangout at your friend’s house, just playing video games…that is not going to cut it. You can do that ANYTIME! But today is SENIOR SKIP DAY! You have to make the most of it.
Call of Duty is not making the most of it. So actually plan something good.
Tips & Tricks For A Memorable Ditch Day
4. Buy A Disposable Camera
This is a super fun idea. Make sure that you prep everyone in your group with a disposable camera. That way they can each take photos throughout the day from different perspectives. This is a unique idea because normally you will all be on your phones.
You can take this one step further and make a pact not to use your phones for photos or social media all day. This way you are all truly connecting.
5. Make Sure You Have Rides
It’s all fun and games planning a fun senior ditch day until the day arrives and you have to a way of getting from location to location. Sure, you may all be seniors but that doesn’t mean that you all have cars that are readily available to you.
So just make sure that you have a set of wheels that can get you from place to place. This will make your day a lot simpler and much more fun. Take this a step further and have a special senior skip day playlist that you can blast in the car. I am sure that Spotify has something put together for you.
6. Make A Checklist
Okay, this is a super important one. This is the easiest way to keep track of everything that you want to do on your senior skip day. As you do each thing, you can cross it off. Then at the end of the day, you will have a cute little keep-safe that will always remind you of this adventure.
7. Reminisce Over Your High School Experience
And lastly, here is one that is non-negotiable. You need to take time out of your day to reminisce with your friends about your time in High School. There are plenty of curated question lists online that you can pull from.
This will help to bring this day full circle. It will help to bring you closer to your friends and really make you realize just how much you experienced over the last four years!
After this, I expect you to get out there and plan an epic senior skip day that you and your friends will remember for the rest of your lives. Be in the moment, laugh, have fun, reminisce…and enjoy a day free of any worries.
At the end of the day, Senior Skip Day is all about having fun. So make sure that whatever you do, you are enjoying yourself. You got this! Oh, and congrats on being a senior!
More Ideas Teens Will Love!
- The Best Bikes for Teens By Type with Pros & Cons – Choosing the best bicycle for teenagers can be difficult because there are so many options and features to consider. That is why we are here to help you.
- 53 Sweet Valentine Ideas for Teens + Tweens – Holidays offer ideal opportunities to create traditions your kids will remember for life. Now that your kids are getting older and have hit those teen years, creating new traditions they are into can be difficult. But change that this year with these cool valentines ideas for teens.
- Best Chores for Teenagers + Tips for Creating Habits – Teens are all about freedom and independence, so being told what to do may not be their favorite thing. Expect some resistance and a bit of annoyance at first, especially if your teen didn’t grow up doing things around the house regularly.