Inside: Fun Things To Do in Chicago with Teens.
There is one thing I know for sure about Chicago. You will NEVER be bored while visiting and that’s a fact. Chicago is packed full of fun adventures, wild entertainment, great sites to see, and tons of shopping.
Taking a trip to the windy city with your teens can be even more fun with a list of exciting ideas.
These must-see Chicago attractions are sure to please everyone in the family, whether they’re adventurers, explorers, artists, shoppers, or information junkies.
Check out our favorite things to do in Chicago with teens!
Fun Things To Do in Chicago with Teens
Maggie Daley Park
Maggie Daley Park is a great place to go climbing, roller skating, and having a good time on the beachfront. Test your climbing skills on the outdoor rock walls, which range in difficulty from beginner to advanced and reach a maximum height of 40 feet. Now, it’s time to hit the pavement on roller skates or a scooter (both available for rent). Then you should check out the Skating Ribbon, a path that winds through a surreal park. Want something with less of a pounding pace to satisfy your adrenaline fix? You can play mini golf among replicas of the Willis Tower, the Wells Street Bridge, and a Picasso sculpture, among other well-known Chicago landmarks.
Chi-town has escape rooms where you can save the White House, get away from a zombie, or go on a mission to Mars. Nothing beats the adrenaline rush of a race against time, whether you’re trying to escape a goldmine, evade capture, or prevent an art heist. If you’re in Chicago, you should visit Escape Artistry, Fox in a Box, and The Escape Game Chicago.
Blue Man Group
The Blue Man Group at the Briar Street Theater is a high-energy theatrical experience that is loved by people of all ages. It’s an event that combines live entertainment, humor, choreography, and lots of blue paint. Also, those who choose front-row seating should prepare to get wet (don’t worry, ponchos will be provided). You can kill some time before seeing a show by browsing the unique stores and antique shops that line Belmont Avenue and Halsted Street.
What To Do in Chicago with Teens
Check out the unique shops in Chicago. Teens who are both hip and artistic should be familiar with Threadless. The hip tee boasts artwork by unsigned designers from Chicago and beyond. Pop-up stores, like the one that operates out of the company’s West Loop headquarters, are a great way to find out about limited-time offers. Alternatively, Lincoln Park’s Frankie’s on the Park is a hip boutique filled with on-trend pieces for young women. For more information on Chicago’s local boutiques, see our comprehensive guide.
Chicago’s riverwalk, which has won numerous awards, is much more than a simple path. It’s not only a lively waterfront, but also a park with a wide variety of activities for people to enjoy in the city’s fresh air. In order to enjoy the little more than a mile of walking path, sights, sounds, and public art, rent a Divvy bike and ride leisurely along it. Urban Kayaks also offers tours and rentals if you’d rather see the sights from the water. Visit the McCormick Bridgehouse & Chicago River Museum for a unique viewpoint and a glimpse into Chicago’s past.
Family Fun in Chicago
Visit the Navy Pier
The Centennial Wheel on Navy Pier is a recognizable landmark in the Windy City. The wheel rises nearly 200 feet into the air, and its enclosed gondolas make it possible to enjoy a ride regardless of the weather.
Wednesday and Saturday evenings, from Memorial Day to Labor Day, Navy Pier hosts the Aon Summer Fireworks. Seasonal Pier Park features attractions like the Pepsi Wave Swinger, a carousel, climbing walls, and the Light Tower Ride.
Once you’re back on dry land, Lake Michigan is where you want to go for your next adrenaline rush. Riders on Seadog’s jet-propelled Extreme Thrill Ride get a thrilling start, travel at high speeds, and complete 360-degree spins before splashing to a stop. Now is your chance to race across the open waters of Lake Michigan. The IMAX Theater at Navy Pier is just one of the many exciting things to do there. Aside from the Chicago Shakespeare Theater and the Chicago Children’s Museum, there is so much more to see and do in Chicago.
Things To Do in Chicago with Teens During the Summer
Chicagoans love to celebrate everything under the sun. At least once a month, there is something that draws a large crowd. Put these teen-friendly activities on your calendars now:
- From June to September, you can catch the Summer Film Series at Pritzker Pavilion in Millennium Park. Feel free to bring a blanket and relax on the Great Lawn or sit at the pavilion. While watching movies on a state-of-the-art 40-foot LED screen, featuring both classics and new releases.
- Taste of Chicago,Every July, Grant Park hosts the nation’s largest outdoor food festival. Over 70 restaurants will be offering samples at the festival. This city has a thriving food scene, from food trucks to five-star restaurants, showcasing the city’s diversity. Listen to both well-known and up-and-coming live bands.
- Chicago SummerDancebrings together dancers of all ages and abilities every summer to learn new moves in the open air at Grant Park’s Spirit of Music Garden. Parents and teens alike can benefit from taking dance classes together. Every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday night in Grant Park from June through August is SummerDance. In addition, on certain dates, SummerDance In The Parks will be held in parks all over the city.
More Fun Travel Spots for Teenagers
If you like these fun things to do in Chicago with teens and you’re wanting to plan more awesome trips, then check out a few more of our favorite vacation spots.
- Fun Things To Do in Los Angeles – Sticking with our traveling in California with teens theme, check out our favorite things to do in Los Angeles. From fun roller coasters, cool downtown areas, and exciting rides, there is no your teens will be bored of this trip.
- Fun Things To Do in Las Vegas – There are a ton of cool things to do in Las Vegas with teens. Exciting tour options include everything a teenager wants to see and conquer including zip lines, roller coasters, navigating an ATV or dune buggy, and there are even options to take them to a shooting range.
- Fun Things To Do in San Diego for Teens – There are tons of great activities for families visiting San Diego, CA with teenagers to enjoy. From fun outdoor adventures, educational (but still fun) museums, and so much more, your teens will have no problem unplugging for a bit to enjoy all the activities you have planned. So check out what we learned and how we kept our picky teens happy all vacation long!