Inside: The Best Young Teen Facial Products + Routine.
Like pretty much everything in your early teens—your first crush, your first period, your first bra purchase—navigating your first skin-care routine can be particularly confusing.
It’s as if all of a sudden, your hormones have all teamed up and decided to hit you with a one-two punch of oily skin and acne, and you’ve got to figure out how to deal.
I remember clearly around the age of 13 digging into my older sister’s collection of skincare, makeup, and who knows what else, applying those products like I actually knew what I was doing… Spoiler: I had no ideas.
Best Teenage Facial Treatment Products
Allow me to make things easier for future generations of skin-concerned teenagers. Besides helping deal with whatever skin concerns are looming, (cough cough, adolescent acne), the products we use as teenagers actually help set up our skin for later on in life.
Taking care of your skin the right way early in life means you won’t be making up for the lost time when wrinkles and age spots set in down the road.
While we grownups can’t exactly do anything about our wild skincare mistakes in the past, we can help teens know better than to spot treat their zits with toothpaste.
The basic thing to keep in mind? Teenage skin needs exactly the same type of TLC that adult skin does.
Here are our favorite teen facial routines and products to start your glowing skin routine.
The golden rule for cleansers, at any age, is to keep it simple—gentle washes tend to be best for any skin type since they’re the least likely to strip the skin barrier. We suggest looking for a foaming cleanser, which helps with oiliness, or something with salicylic acid to fend off acne. And if you’re wearing makeup, we are huge fans of micellar water as a great grime-clearing, pre-cleanse step in your routine.
Our Favorite Cleansers
- CeraVe Hydrating Facial Cleanser
- Glossier Milky Jelly Cleanser
- La Roche-Posay Toleriane Hydrating Gentle Cleanser
Teenage skin needs the same sort of environmental protection as adult skin does, which means antioxidants are key. This is where vitamin C comes in, which will fend off pollution and help brighten skin. I like this to bring out a glow, help with collagen production to reduce acne marking post-breakout, and keep the skin protected against UV light and pollutants, which is something we should be doing at all ages.
This is one of my favorite steps for a teen girl facial routine.
Our Favorite Serums
- Pixi Vitamin C Serum
- Mario Badescu Vitamin C Serum
- Tula Brightening Treatment Drops Triple Vitamin C Serum
On the moisturizing front, opt for a lighter lotion instead of a heavy cream. Oil-free options will likely be your best bet (whether you’re dry, oily, or a little bit of both) and there are plenty of great picks right there in the drugstore aisle.
Our Favorite Moisturizers
A good SPF is non-negotiable at any age. Slather an SPF 30 every morning as the final step in your routine for sun and blue light protection, which skin will be thanking you for later (trust us).
Our Favorite Sunscreen
- Glossier Invisible Shield
- Clinique Broad Spectrum SPF 30 Mineral Sunscreen
- CeraVe Hydrating Sunscreen
Tips for Treating Teen Acne – Facial Products + Treatments
I started acne super early in life, and I wish back then I knew what I know now. So here is some great tips for 12 + 13-Year-old acne facial products to use.
While acne is a normal part of being a teenager, there are things you can do to clear up your skin. Knowing what really causes acne (and what doesn’t) will help you focus on treatments that work.
If your acne is mild, or if you’ve just started to break out, you may be able to clear your skin with over-the-counter (OTC) acne medications.
But not all acne products are created equal. The most effective will contain the following active ingredients on the label.
If you’ve tried a ton of OTC products and you’re still breaking out, it’s time to call for backup. Your healthcare provider has plenty of prescription acne treatment options that will help get your acne under control.
Even though acne isn’t caused by neglecting to wash your face, the excess oil and dirt that builds up throughout the day won’t help matters. Sweat can also irritate your skin and make acne worse. That is why a good skin care routine is important.
It only takes a few minutes a day and doesn’t require a ton of fancy products. All you need is basic face soap or cleanser, and a moisturizer if your skin is feeling dry.
More Ideas for You Teens
If you like these young teen facial tips and products then check out a few more great ideas for your teenager.
- Easy + Quick Dinner Ideas for Teens – If you’re looking for some tasty, easy, and nutritious dinner that your teen will love then we have the perfect list for you. With everything they could ever crave, this list is packed full of delicious recipes that are so simple, even those learning teen chefs can pull them off.
- Journal Prompts for Teens – Have you ever journaled? Journaling is a positive habit that anyone can benefit from. Journals are like best friends who hold onto your secrets and help you process your experiences. Journaling regularly can lead to a lifelong daily writing habit, but teens may struggle with figuring out how to start. Check out our favorite prompts that will get teens writing right away.
- Teen Date Ideas – Dating as a teenager can be hard. And trying to come up with date ideas is even more difficult. There are so many different struggles that come with dating as a teen. Most teens might not even drive yet, or have their own car… or have a lot of money to spend… and they are most likely still living at home. Check out our favorite teen date ideas that most any teen can execute flawlessly.