Inside: Best things to do when bored for teens.
Being bored is one of my absolute least favorite things in the whole world. It actually makes me anxious, so of course, I try to do everything I can to avoid it. Because of this, I have come up with quite a list of solutions to modern-day boredom.
Since teen’s life and schedules are constantly changing, they are more susceptible to having bouts of boredom. Think about it: When they go from having school and homework for most of the day to having nothing to do during summer or on a chilly winter afternoon… that time can feel vacant and, boring.
So today, I want to share some of the best things to do when bored for teens to encourage creativity and fun.
These solutions are not only fun, but they are all beneficial for your mental health as well. I know this sounds silly, but it’s true! According to this article by UW Medicine: “New experiences are good for our emotional health. Trying new things gives us a hit of dopamine (feel-good chemical) and makes us feel rewarded.” Are you convinced? I am! Let’s get into this.
Table of Contents
Top Things to Do When Bored for Teens
First up, I thought I would start out with some of my favorite ideas. I know that any one of these will not only help you alleviate your boredom, but they will enrich your life. Take a look!
1. Classic Movie Marathon – Having a classic movie marathon is a great option for those days when you are bored but still don’t really feel like doing anything.
2. Listen to an Audiobook – Audiobooks are great because they give your brain something to focus on, and you can still get stuff done. So pop on a good book and maybe spend some time deep cleaning your room.
3. Watch a YouTube Drawing Tutorial – Interested in trying something new? Why not try your hand at a YouTube drawing tutorial? I have found that these are not only fun but super helpful.
4. Sign Up for a Class on Skill Share – Skillshare offers so many great classes that are given by experts in the field. You could learn photography or graphic design…anything you want!
5. Take Care of Plants – Getting up and taking care of plants is a great thing to do when bored because it brings you into the present moment. Be mindful and care for your green babies!
6. Redecorate Your Room – This one is fun. Try your hand at rearranging and redecorating your room. Having a new space to be in feels great!
7. Put on Karaoke – YouTube also has great karaoke options. I think that these are a great way to get out of your head and have a good laugh, even if you’re alone.
8. Paint – Chances are you have paint somewhere in your house. Why not try your hand at it?
9. Find Some Cool Profiles On Instagram – This one sounds funny, but I recently discovered that by carefully picking who is on my feed, my mental health improves. Instead of following models who will hurt my self-esteem, I follow body positivity accounts, art accounts, and things that I enjoy.
Free Things to Do When Bored for Teens
You don’t always have money to spend on these things, especially when you are a teenager. So I wanted to add a list of things that you can do that are free. Each of these things is something that you can get up and do right now.
10. Watch Funny Cat Videos – This is something that I am sure you did when you were little, but it’s a great way to pass the time. Cat videos never stop being funny.
11. Journal – This is a great habit to pick up, and it’s free. Journalling has been proven to help people get in touch with their emotions and thoughts, which in turn helps with mental health.
12. Read a Book – Classic, I know, but you can really never go wrong with reading a good book. I suggest a murder mystery or a romance. These will have you on the edge of your seat, and you won’t want to put the book down.
13. Bake Something New – Go raid your cupboards and see what kinds of ingredients you have. Go online and find some recipes you can make with them. Chances are there is SOMETHING!
14. Learn To Do the Splits – This one will take more than just one session, but having something that you can come back to and work on will help you to avoid boredom in the future. So give it a try and take it slow.
15. Deep Clean Your Room – This is one that I think you can try while listening to an audiobook. They help to pass the time, and they help to make you want to keep cleaning, especially when the book is really good.
16. Spend the Afternoon Doing Self Care – This could look different for everybody. You could tidy your room, take a bath, do a face mask, and journal. Just make a whole day of it!
17. Take a Bubble Bath – Taking a bubble bath can be a whole thing if you decide to make it that. Make yourself some tea, get a good show on your tablet or phone, light some candles, and take a bubble bath.
18. Go for a Walk Outside – Getting outside is a great way to avoid being bored. There are so many beautiful things for you to look at and enjoy.
19. Play with Your Animals – Your animals get bored too, so why not fix that problem together? Take them outside, play around, and have a good old fashion bonding session with your pet.
Things to Buy to help Alleviate Boredom
And lastly, if you want to build a boredom arsenal, then this is the list for you! These are things that you can buy that will help you to alleviate your boredom quickly. Each of them has something for you to do that either enhances your brain or helps you connect with others. Check it out!
20. Burn After Writing Book
21. Learn to Do Acrylic Nails
22. Learn to Make Jewelry
23. Learn to Crochet
24. Geographic Fun
25. Play a Game with the Family
26. Play Minute to Win it Games
27. Try Rock Painting
28. Learn Photography
29. Take a Creative Writing Course
There you have it, the top things to do when bored teens. I know there were a lot of things on this list, so I hope that you found something to help you at this moment. And remember, building a boredom arsenal is a great idea. That way, you can pull from it the next time you feel bored!
There are so many other ideas and activities that I have for teens that will help them kill time. So if this wasn’t enough for you, check out this article.
Being bored isn’t the end of the world, but there are so many other things you can do to help avoid it. And these things, in turn, end up having a beneficial domino effect on your life. You would be surprised what trying new things will do for you. So get up, put your phone down, and have fun!